What should I do if my name changed?

If you changed your name at any time during the tax year, you must inform the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as soon as possible. If you changed only your first name or last name, call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to advise them of the change. If you changed both your first name and last name, mail or fax a letter with the following information to your local tax centre:

  • A name change certificate from a provincial/territorial vital statistics department or a court order issued under an act on change of name;
  • Your old and new names;
  • Your Social Insurance Number (SIN); and
  • ​Your signature.

The CRA does not accept name changes by email or over the Internet.

You must also change your name on all relevant government documents such as on your SIN, passport, health card, and driver’s license. If a person to whom a SIN is assigned changes his or her name due to marriage or other circumstances, the person must apply to update their SIN within 60 days. Click this link for more information on changing your name in your province or territory of residence.

Generally, the CRA won't forward your name change information to other government departments or organizations. If you answered Yes to the Elections Canada question on your T1 General form, the CRA will forward your information to Elections Canada only.

If you are a resident of Québec and your application for a name change is accepted by the Directeur de l'état civil, it is your responsibility to have your name change in files held by government departments or agencies.  You must provide a change of name certificate and a new birth certificate as proof. If you filled out the application for simplified forwarding of information relative to a change of name with your name change application, the Directeur de l'état civil will notify certain government departments or agencies on your behalf such as:

  • Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec
  • Régie des rentes du Québec
  • Ministère de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale
  • Commission administrative des régimes de retraite et d’assurances
  • Curateur public du Québec

In the case of Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec, you will have to contact the Régie as soon as the name change has taken effect to obtain a new health insurance card.


Where can I learn more?