Schedule S: Amount Transferred by a Child 18 or Over Enrolled in Post-secondary Studies

What’s in this article?


What is this?

Schedule S is used to calculate an amount representing the recognized parental contribution to your education, which you can transfer to your father or mother.

To calculate and transfer an amount to your parent, you must have received an RL-8: Amount for post-secondary studies slip with an amount shown in Box A.

Note: Most of your amounts for Schedule S are auto-calculated when you enter your Relevé 8. The exception is line 10 – you will enter that amount manually into Schedule S in H&R Block’s tax software.


Revenu Québec says…

Box A – Amount for post-secondary studies, determined on the basis of the number of terms that you started in the year and completed. If you were 18 or older at some point during the year, enter this amount on line 4 of Schedule S of your income tax return. If you were under 18 all year long, this amount must be entered on line 7 of Schedule A of the income tax return of the person claiming you as a dependant.

Only you, the student, must include Schedule S with your return and not the individual(s) to whom you are transferring the amount. However, that person must enter the transferred amount on Schedule A of his or her tax return.

Note: If you transfer an amount as a child 18 or over enrolled in post-secondary studies, you cannot claim any of the tax credits respecting the work premium.


Am I eligible?

You can transfer an amount representing the recognized parental contribution to you education to your father or mother if:

  • You are 18 years of age or older;
  • You were a full-time student pursuing vocational training at the secondary level or postsecondary studies in the year; and
  • You received an RL-8 slip with an amount in Box A.


Note: The amount you transfer must be current year credits only.


Where do I claim this?

Important: Before you begin, make sure you tell us you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

1. Click the HOME tab.
2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

You must also make sure that you have told us about the dependants, from whom you will transfer the amount for post-secondary studies (Schedule S). To do this:

1. Click the HOME tab.
2. Click the ABOUT YOUR DEPENDANTS icon. Enter all the required information about your dependants.

Note: If you want to enter more than one dependant, click the +Add Another Dependant button on your screen.

Once you have noted your residency in Québec and told us about your dependants, follow these steps to enter information from Schedule S:

1. Click the name of your dependant on the left-hand navigation panel.
2. Under the Transfer amounts section, click the checkbox for Tuition, education, and textbook amounts.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for transfering tuition, education, and textbook amounts from your dependant, enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?