​Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit​

What’s in this article?


What is this?     

The Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit is provided by the province of Manitoba to cover a portion of the school taxes you pay through your property tax, or a portion of your rent. You can claim a tax credit of up to $700 either on your municipal property tax statement or through your income tax return.

Note: If you are 65 years or older and are eligible for the Seniors’ school tax rebate, you must complete an online application to claim this rebate. Click this link to complete the rebate application online.


Am I eligible?

You can claim this credit if you were a resident of Manitoba at the end of the year and you met all of these conditions:

  • You paid rent or property tax on a principal residence in Manitoba for the tax year;
  • You paid more than $250 in property taxes or rent; and
  • ​You were 16 years of age or older at the end of the year.

If you are a homeowner, you must pay the first $250 of property taxes. Any amount above that is eligible for the credit up to a maximum of $700. If you are a renter, you can claim 20% of your rent over and above $250, up to a maximum credit of $700.

You can't claim the education property tax credit if you were living in the home of someone who, for the tax year:

  • Will claim you as a dependant;
  • Will claim a spouse or common-law partner amount for you or to whom you'll transfer all or part of your age amount or disability amount; or
  • ​Has received or will receive an education property tax credit.

If you are 65 years of age or older at the end of the year, you may qualify for additional savings from the Manitoba government:

  • Seniors’ school tax rebate: Manitoba government has committed to eliminate school taxes by 2016 for those seniors who own their homes. You can apply for this rebate by completing an online application as soon as you receive your property tax bill from your municipality. This rebate of $470 is on top of the education property tax credits already in place.

Click this link to complete an online application for this rebate.

  • Seniors with income $40,000 or less: Senior homeowners with a net family income of $40,000 or less may be eligible for an additional amount up to $400 in education property tax credits.

You've already received your full benefit if you were 65 or older at the end of the year and you met both of these conditions:

  • Your family income was more than $40,000; and
  • ​The Manitoba education property tax credit advance was either deducted from your 2014 property tax statement or you received it after you applied for it.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:

Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in MANITOBA on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

Once you have confirmed your residence location, you can claim the Manitoba education property tax credit by following these steps:

  1. Click the PREPARE tab.
  2. Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
  3. Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS heading, click the checkbox labelled Manitoba education property tax credit.
  4. Click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for your Manitoba education property tax credit, enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?