What is in this article?
The Manitoba Book Publishing Tax Credit (Individuals) (T1299) is designed to assist the development of the book publishing industry in Manitoba.
The maximum credit claimable by a publisher is $100,000 per year and the refundable credit is equal to 40% of the eligible labour costs. Eligible book publishing labour costs may include reasonable costs paid in the tax year for:
- Editing, design, research or project management, creating artwork or developing a prototype of the book;
- Salaries and wages to employees; and
- Contracted Manitoba labour costs or services (these do not include marketing, promotion, legal and accounting costs and any part of a salary, wage, or fee that is determined by reference to profits or revenues).
For books published on paper with a minimum of 30% recycled content, a credit of 15% can be claimed for publishing costs incurred.
If you publish a book within the tax year and meet the following conditions, you may be eligible to claim the tax credit:
- You were a resident of Manitoba at the end of the tax year;
- Your primary business activity is publishing books;
- You published at least two eligible books within the two-year period ending at the end of the tax year; and
- At least 25% of the total wages or salaries you paid in the year must have been paid to employees who are residents of Manitoba on December 31 of the tax year.
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in MANITOBA on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
- Click the HOME tab.
- Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, claim the Manitoba book publishing tax credit by following these steps:
- Click the PREPARE tab.
- Click the YOUR YEAR IN REVIEW icon. You will find yourself here:
- Click the checkbox labelled I was employed or I worked for myself then select the province or territory of self-employment.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
- You will find yourself on the PREPARE tab under the EMPLOYMENT icon.
- Under the CREDITS AND REBATES heading, click the checkbox labelled Manitoba book publishing tax credit (individuals).
- Click Continue.
When you arrive at the Manitoba book publishing tax credit (individuals) page, enter your information into the tax software.
- T1299: Manitoba Book Publishing Tax Credit (Individuals) (CRA website)
- MB479: Manitoba credits (CRA website)
- Information for Residents of Manitoba (CRA website)
- Manitoba laws – The Income Tax Act (Manitoba government website)