What’s in this article?
If you were a student in a previous year, you may have unused federal tuition, education, and textbook amounts on your notice of assessment or reassessment from last year.
Your educational institution will provide you a tax certificate (slip T2202A for Canadians residing outside of Québec or slip RL-8 for Canadians residing in Québec) that lists the tuition you paid in the year and number of months you were enrolled in a part-time or full-time program. These amounts are used to determine the amount you have available to reduce your income tax payable. You can then choose to carry forward any unused credit amount.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) says...
You can carry forward and claim in a future year the part of your tuition, education, and textbook amounts you cannot use (and do not transfer) for the year. You have to claim your carry-forward amount in the first year that you have to pay income tax.
Even if you do not have to pay income tax and you are carrying forward all or part of your tuition, education, and textbook amounts, you should file your tax return so that the CRA can update their records with your unused credit amounts.
If you have an eligible tuition tax certificate (T2202A or RL-8) and you don’t need to use all of your calculated tuition, education and textbook amounts to reduce your income tax payable, any unused amount can be carried forward to future years. The CRA will list any unused credit amount, which is carried forward, on your notice of assessment or reassessment.
Note: You cannot carry forward amounts that you have transferred to a parent, grandparent, spouse, or common-law partner, and amounts that you have carried forward from a previous year cannot be transferred.
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
1. Click the PREPARE tab.
2. Click on the YOUR YEAR IN REVIEW icon. You will find yourself here:
3. Select the checkbox labeled I wasn’t a student, but I have unused tuition amounts or interest.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
5. Click the STUDENTS icon. You will find yourself here:
6. Select the checkbox labelled Tuition or examination fees carried forward from a previous year (Schedule 11 & Schedule T).
7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
When you arrive at the appropriate page for your Schedule 11/Schedule T, enter your information into the tax software.
- Schedule 11 - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts (CRA website)
- Transferring and carrying forward amounts (CRA website)
- P105 – Students and Income Tax (CRA website)
- Tax credit for tuition or examination fees (Revenu Québec website)