What’s in this article?
Important: The EcoRenov tax credit has been discontinued by Revenu Québec for 2015.
The Québec tax credit for eco-friendly home renovations (EcoRenov) is a temporary refundable tax credit to encourage individuals (owners or co-owners) to have eco-friendly renovations done to their principal residence or cottage. The credit only applies to eligible expenses incurred in tax years 2013 and 2014, and in the first 120 days of 2015 (January 1 to April 30).
The renovations must have a positive environmental impact or improve the home’s energy efficiency, and the materials and appliances involved must meet recognized environmental and energy standards.
The tax credit is 20% of the eligible expenses that exceed $2,500, up to a maximum of $10,000 per eligible dwelling. If you claimed the maximum credit amount in tax years 2013 and 2014, you cannot claim the tax credit for expenses incurred in 2015. If you are a co-owner, you can split the tax credit amount with the other co-owner(s), provided the total amount claimed does not exceed $10,000.
To calculate the tax credit, you must complete form TP-1029.ER-V: Tax Credit for Eco-friendly Home Renovation (EcoRenov).
If you or your spouse paid eligible expenses for eco-friendly renovations done to your principal residence or cottage under a contract established with a qualified contractor after October 7, 2013 and before November 1, 2014, you can claim the EcoRenov tax credit.
The credit only applies to eligible expenses paid in tax years 2013 and 2014, including those incurred from January 1 to April 30, 2015.
Revenu Québec says…
In order to qualify for the tax credit, the total eligible expenses paid for eco-friendly renovation work done on an eligible dwelling must exceed $2,500. The maximum tax credit is $10,000 per eligible dwelling.
To claim the tax credit for eco-friendly renovation for the taxation year, you must:
- have the contractor that carried out the work complete and sign a copy of form TP-1029.ER.A-V, Certificate of Compliance With Energy and Environmental Standards
- enclose form TP-1029.ER-V, Tax Credit for Eco-Friendly Home Renovation, with your income tax return
- Tax Credit for Eco-Friendly Home Renovation (EcoRenov) (Revenu Québec website)
- Amount of the Tax Credit (Revenu Québec website)
- TP-1029.ER-V: Tax Credit for Eco-Friendly Home Renovation (EcoRenov) (Revenu Québec website)