TP-348-V : Moving expenses

What’s in this article?


What is this?

TP-348-V: Moving Expenses is the Québec form used to claim a deduction for moving expenses on your income tax return.  In order to claim eligible moving expenses, you must have moved and established a new home to work, attend an educational institution as a full-time student, or to run a business at a new location.

You can deduct eligible expenses from the net income you earned at your new place of work. You can carry forward any part of the moving expenses you were unable to deduct in the tax year.

To claim the federal moving expenses deduction, you must complete form T1-M: Moving Expenses Deduction.


Am I eligible?

Revenu Québec says…

You can deduct the moving expenses you paid in the year if you meet both of the following conditions:

  • You moved in order to take up employment duties, carry on a business, practise a profession or attend an educational institution at which you were enrolled full time in a post-secondary program
  • Your new residence is at least 40 kilometres closer to your new place of study or work (even if your work is seasonal)

Only expenses for moving from one location to another in Canada are deductible, unless the expenses were incurred at a time when you were living outside Canada temporarily for one of the following reasons:

  • You were working outside Canada temporarily.
  • You were working in the United States and coming back to Canada on a daily or weekly basis.
  • You were travelling outside Canada for long periods of time.
  • You were teaching or studying outside Canada.

If you are a student and you moved in the year, you can deduct your moving expenses in accordance with the rules outlined above. However, if you moved in the year to be at least 40 kilometres closer to the institution at which you were enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program, the deduction you can claim is limited to the net amount of the research grants you received.


Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) says…

To qualify, your new home must be at least 40 kilometres (by the shortest usual public route) closer to your new place of work or school.

If you are employed or self-employed, you can deduct eligible moving expenses from the employment or self-employment income you earned at your new work location, including amounts you received under the Wage Earner Protection Program in respect of your employment at the new work location.

You can claim eligible moving expenses if you moved to study courses as a student in full-time attendance enrolled in a postsecondary program at a university, college or other educational institution that offers courses at a post-secondary school level. However, you can only deduct these expenses from the part of your scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, certain prizes, and research grants that are required to be included in your income.

You can claim reasonable amounts that you paid for moving yourself, your family, and your household effects. Not all members of your household have to travel together or at the same time.

Eligible moving expenses include:

  • Cost of transportation and storing household effects
  • Travel expenses related to the residence
  • Temporary living expenses
  • Cost of cancelling a lease on your former residence
  • Cost of selling the former residence
  • Expenses paid to maintain the former residence when vacant
  • Cost of purchasing the new residence

Expenses that you cannot claim include expenses paid to make your former residence more saleable, any loss from the sale of your home, travel expenses incurred to house hunt, mail-forwarding costs, mortgage default insurance, and more. Click this link for more information on ineligible moving expenses.


Where do I claim this?

IMPORTANT: Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

Once you have confirmed your residence location, enter your TP-348-V by following these steps:

  1. Click the PREPARE tab.
  2. Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
  3. Under the MISCELLANEOUS section, select the checkbox labelled Moving expenses.
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for Moving expenses (QC), enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?