T1-M : Moving expenses

What’s in this article?


What is this?

The T1-M: Moving Expenses Deduction form lets you calculate your moving expenses deduction if you moved to establish a new home to work or run a business at a new location. You must have moved at least 40 kilometers closer (by the shortest usual public route) to your new place of employment or business, or to take courses as a full-time student enrolled in a post-secondary program.

Click here to see a list of eligible moving expenses.

Click here to see a list of ineligible moving expenses.

Note that, this is different from an employee home relocation loan deduction (line 248) to which you may be entitled if you moved or relocated to start employment at a new work location. Click this link to learn more about an employee home relocation loan deduction. If your company reimbursed you for your entire move or portions of your move, you can only claim the reimbursement amount if it was reported as a taxable benefit on your T4.

Note: The related form for Québec residents is form TP-348-V: Moving expenses. If you are a resident of Québec, you will also complete form TP-348-V. Use this link to learn more about form TP-348-V.


Am I eligible?

You are eligible to claim moving expenses if your new location is at least 40 kilometres closer to your new place of work or school and you have earned income at this location.


  • If the income you earned is less than your moving expenses, you can carry forward the difference to the following tax year.
  • If you did not earn any income, the entire amount of your moving expenses can be carried forward until you have earned income at your new location.

You can either use the simplified method or the detailed method to claim your expenses.

The simplified method allows you to use a flat kilometre rate based on the province/territory you are moving from and a flat rate per meal per day, for three meals.

The detailed method requires that you use the amounts shown on all your receipts.

Make sure you keep all of your receipts in case the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks to see them.


Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) says…

If you are employed or self-employed: You cannot deduct your moving expenses from any other type of income, such as investment income or employment insurance benefits, even if you received this income at the new location. If you received a reimbursement or an allowance for your eligible moving expenses you can only claim your moving expenses if you include the amount you received in your income or if you reduce your moving expenses by the amount received.

If you are a full-time student: You can claim eligible moving expenses if you moved to take courses as a student in full-time attendance enrolled in a post-secondary program at a university, college or other educational institution that offers courses at a post-secondary school level. However, you can only deduct these expenses from the part of your scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, certain prizes, and research grants that is required to be included in your income. You must establish your new home as the place where you ordinarily reside.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software if you are filing your 2015 taxes:

1. Click the PREPARE tab.
2. Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:

3. Under the MISCELLANEOUS section, select the checkbox for Moving expenses (T1-M).
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for Moving Expenses, enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?