What’s in this Article?
The British Columbia Education Coaching Tax Credit is a $500 non-refundable credit for teachers and teaching assistants who carry out at least 10 hours of extracurricular coaching activities during the year. This new tax credit is applicable for tax years 2015 to 2017. If you are eligible, you can claim this credit on your income tax return.
You can claim the British Columbia Education Coaching Tax Credit if you:
- Are a resident of British Columbia on December 31st
- Are a paid teacher or teaching assistant working in a qualified school
- Carry out at least 10 hours of unpaid work in a year to coach or supervise students engaged in extracurricular activities
The British Columbia government says……
The extracurricular activities must be performed after school hours or on a weekend, and can include sports, arts and many other activities, as long as the coaching or supervising is unpaid.
A qualifying school must offer educational programs for students in Kindergarten through Grade 12, and includes:
- public schools
- francophone schools
- independent schools
- First Nations schools
Preschools do not qualify.
Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in BRITISH COLUMBIA on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
- Click the HOME tab.
- Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, claim your B.C. Education Coaching Tax Credit by following these steps:
- Click the PREPARE tab.
- Click the OTHER icon, and click the Special situations link. You will find yourself here:
- Select Yes to the question Are you a teacher/teaching assistant who coached for at least 10 hours in 2015?.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
- B.C. Education Coaching Tax Credit (British Columbia government website)
- Basic Tax Credits (British Columbia government website)