What’s in this article?
The Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners is a refundable tax credit for lower income taxpayers who are 55 years of age or older, and are paying school tax for their residence.
Note: Only one claim per dwelling is allowed.
You are eligible to claim the Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners if the following conditions are met:
- You were 55 years of age or older at the end of the year
- Your family income is less than $23,800
- You or your spouse or common-law partner owns, is buying, or is a life tenant of a principal residence
- The assessed school tax for your residence is more than $160 for the year
If you are a mobile home owner, special rules may apply. Contact the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office for further information.
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
Important: Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in MANITOBA on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
- Click the HOME tab.
- Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, claim your Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners amount by following these steps:
- Click the PREPARE tab.
- Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS section, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners.
- Click Continue.
When you arrive at the page for Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, enter your information into the tax software.
- Housing and Community Development (Government of Manitoba website)
- Personal Tax Credits (Government of Manitoba website)
- Information for residents of Manitoba (Canada Revenue Agency website)