What’s in this Article?
The British Columbia Children’s Fitness Equipment Credit is a new, non-refundable tax credit introduced in 2015. The credit amount is equal to 50% of the federal child fitness credit.
This tax credit will automatically be paid to you if you meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- You are a resident of British Columbia
- You have a child registered in a qualified fitness program (click this link for more information on what qualifies as physical activity and a prescribed program)
- You are claiming the federal Children’s Fitness tax credit
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
Note: H&R Block’s tax software will automatically apply the British Columbia Children’s Fitness Equipment tax credit to your return provided you also claimed the federal Children’s Fitness tax credit.
Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in British Columbia on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
- Click the HOME tab.
- Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, click this link to learn how to claim the federal Children’s Fitness amount.
- Basic tax credits (British Columbia government website)
- Children’s Fitness Amount (H&R Block Help Centre article)