Carry-Back of a Deduction or Tax credit (TP-1012.B)

What’s in this article?


What is this?

You will use a TP-1012.B: Carry-back of a Deduction or Tax Credit form to amend an income tax return you filed in a previous year, where you forgot to claim a deduction or tax credit.

IMPORTANT: The carry-back of a deduction or tax credit will not result in the reduction of any late-filing penalties for the year of the carry-back, but it may result in a refund. That refund may be applied against amounts you owe for another tax year.


Am I eligible?

You can file an amended tax return and claim a deduction for:

  • Expenses related to a research grant
  • An adjustment of investment expenses
  • Donations and gifts


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:

Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

Once you have confirmed your residence location, complete form TP-1012.B by following these steps:

  1. Click the PREPARE tab.
  2. Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
  3. Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS section, click the checkbox labelled Carry-back of a deduction or credit (TP-1012.B).
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for form TP-1012.B, enter your information into the tax software.


Where do I learn more?