What’s in this article?
You will use a TP-1012.B: Carry-back of a Deduction or Tax Credit form to amend an income tax return you filed in a previous year, where you forgot to claim a deduction or tax credit.
IMPORTANT: The carry-back of a deduction or tax credit will not result in the reduction of any late-filing penalties for the year of the carry-back, but it may result in a refund. That refund may be applied against amounts you owe for another tax year.
You can file an amended tax return and claim a deduction for:
- Expenses related to a research grant
- An adjustment of investment expenses
- Donations and gifts
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
- Click the HOME tab.
- Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, complete form TP-1012.B by following these steps:
- Click the PREPARE tab.
- Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS section, click the checkbox labelled Carry-back of a deduction or credit (TP-1012.B).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
When you arrive at the page for form TP-1012.B, enter your information into the tax software.
- Line 276 – Adjustment of deductions (Revenu Québec website)
- Carry-back of a deduction or tax credit (Revenu Québec website)