Carry-back of a loss (TP-1012.A)

What’s in this article?


What is this?

You will use a TP-1012.A Carry-Back of a Loss to report net capital losses that you want to carry back to one or more of the three previous tax years, in order to apply it to a capital gain. This form can also be used:

  • To carry back a net loss resulting from a loss on precious property (reduce a gain from the disposition of precious property)
  • To carry back a net loss from a restricted farm loss (applied against farm income)


Am I eligible?

The TP-1012.A Carry-back of a Loss form can be used for either a net capital loss or a non-capital loss.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:

Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

Once you have confirmed your residence location, complete form TP-1012.A by following these steps:

  1. Click the PREPARE tab.
  2. Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
  3. Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS section, select the checkbox labelled Carry-back of a loss (TP-1012.A-V).
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for Carry-back of a loss (TP-1012.A-V), enter your information in the software.


Where do I learn more?