What’s in this article?
The TL11A certifies eligibility for the tuition, education, and textbook amounts, if you attended a university outside Canada. You can use the information on the TL11A to claim the non-refundable tuition, education, and textbook amounts tax credit on Schedule 11 and Schedule T: Tax Credit for Tuition or Examination Fees (Claiming or Transferring the Credit) if you are a Québec resident.
You can also use the TL11A to show unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts that you are transferring to a designated individual such as, your spouse or common-law partner, parent or grandparent, or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s parent or grandparent.
Note: You cannot transfer tuition credits carried forward from a previous year, they must be current year credits only for transfer.
If you are a student and attended a university outside Canada, you should receive a TL11A certificate from your educational institution. You can use the information on this tax certificate to claim the tuition, education, and textbook amounts.
To qualify for the tuition amount, you must have paid eligible fees (at least $100) and attended the university full-time (3 consecutive weeks for each course within a program taken in 2011 and subsequent tax years) in a course that leads to at least a bachelor degree or equivalent level. If you do not use the full tuition tax credit to reduce your income tax payable, we recommend carrying forward the unused credits for use in a future year or transferring them to a designated individual.
Note: You may receive a tax certificate other than a TL11A, if you commuted to a U.S. university or if you are a deemed resident of Canada. If you commuted to a university in the U.S., you should receive a TL11C. If you are a deemed resident of Canada and attended a university outside Canada, you should receive a TL11D.
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
1. Click the PREPARE tab.
2. Click the STUDENTS icon. You will find yourself here:
3. Under the CREDIT AMOUNTS heading, select the checkbox related to Tuition, education, and textbook amounts certificate from a university outside Canada.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
5. When you arrive at the appropriate page for your TL11A slip, enter your information into the tax software.
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
Note: If you want to enter more than one TL11 form, click the +Add a New TL11 button on your screen.
- TL11A: Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate – University Outside Canada (CRA website)
- P105 – Students and Income Tax (CRA website)
- Tax Credit for Tuition or Examination Fees (Revenu Québec website)