What’s in this article?
Starting in tax year 2015, the Saskatchewan Graduate Retention Program rebate has become a non-refundable tax credit which reduces the provincial income tax payable by the graduate. This tax credit provides a rebate to Saskatchewan eligible graduates who live in Saskatchewan and file Saskatchewan taxes.
Saskatchewan government says…
Opportunities for graduates have never been brighter in Saskatchewan. The Graduate Retention Program rewards you for living in Saskatchewan by providing a rebate up to $20,000 of tuition fee.
If the credit you are entitled to is greater than the income tax owing, excess amounts can be carried forward up to 10 years to be applied in a future year. The amount carried forward is shown on your Notice of Assessment (NOA) or Reassessment.
You can calculate the credit amount on form RC360: Saskatchewan Graduate Retention Program.
Note: Similar programs for tuition rebate are available in the following provinces – Manitoba, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
You are eligible for the credit if:
- You have a Graduate Retention Program Eligibility Certificate issued by the Saskatchewan Minister of Advanced Education (AE) certifying your eligibility to claim the credit;
- You work and pay Saskatchewan income tax;
- You live in Saskatchewan; and
- You are filing a Saskatchewan income tax return.
Government of Saskatchewan says…
An approved program must:
- be equivalent to at least six months of full-time study at an eligible institution;
- result in a certificate, diploma, or undergraduate degree; or
- provide journeypersons certification.
Eligible institutions are those recognized for Canada-Saskatchewan Student Loan purposes or the Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission. A list of designated schools can be found at CanLearn.
Important: Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in SASKATCHEWAN on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
- Click the HOME
- Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, claim your Saskatchewan graduate retention program by following these steps:
1. Click the PREPARE tab.
2. Click the YOUR YEAR IN REVIEW icon. You will find yourself here:
3. Select the checkbox labelled I was a student.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
5. Click the STUDENTS icon. You will find yourself here:
6. Under the CREDIT AMOUNTS section, select the checkbox for Saskatchewan graduate retention program.
7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
When you arrive at the page for Saskatchewan graduate retention program, enter your information into the tax software.