Why do I want to transfer my UCCB (Universal Child Care Benefit) amount?

You might want to transfer the amount that you received from the Universal Child Care Benefit to your child (the child that you are claiming as an eligible dependant) so that it will be taxed at 15% rather than at your higher personal income tax rate.  

For example: If you received $1200 from the UCCB, it can be taxed either at your child’s rate ($1200 x 15% = $180) or at your rate ($1200 x 22% = $264). If you choose to use your child's rate, you will receive an extra $84.00 credit on your return.

If there is no claim for the amount for an eligible dependant, you can choose to include all UCCB amounts in the income of a child for whom you received the UCCB.