Saskatchewan Active Families Tax Credit

What’s in this article?


What is this?

The Active Families Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit designed to help Saskatchewan families with the costs associated with having their children participate in cultural, recreational, and/or sports activities. The credit allows you to claim up to $150 per child, provided they are less than 18 years of age sometime during the year.

Government of Saskatchewan says…

Cultural activities include:

  • “Arts” activities are any activities associated with literary arts, visual arts, electronic and multimedia arts and Internet arts, film and video arts, crafts, performing arts (e.g., theatre, opera, music, dance and variety entertainment), the recording of sound, etc.
  • “Heritage” activities are any activities associated with tangible and intangible heritage, including language, customs, genealogy, symbols and items of cultural legacy (e.g., crafts, dance and music), historic buildings, structures and sites, sacred areas, paleontology, and archaeology.
  • “Multiculturalism” activities are any activity that recognizes, fosters, and respects the diversity of Saskatchewan people with respect to race, cultural heritage, religion, ethnicity, ancestry and place of origin.

Recreational Activities are any activities designed to entertain or provide satisfaction; do not involve declaring a winner or providing a reward or any form of monetary gain; and provides physical, emotional or mental benefits. Recreational activities can include, but are not limited to, cultural activities, physical activities, outdoor activities, leisure time activities and leadership.

Outdoor camping, cooking classes, girl/boy scout activities, non-competitive physical activities, science classes etc., are considered recreational activities.

Sport activities are any games or physical activities that: involve large muscle groups; require strategy, physical training and mental preparation; have an outcome determined by established rules and not by chance; and occur in an organized and competitive environment


Am I eligible?

Note: This credit is only available to families reporting combined incomes of $60,000 or less.

If you are a resident of Saskatchewan at the end of the year and have an eligible child (yours or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child who is below 18 years of age) for whom you have paid their participation costs in an eligible cultural, recreational, or sports activity, you can claim the Active Families Tax Credit.


Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) says…

To qualify for this benefit, an eligible activity must:

  • be offered by a service provider located in Saskatchewan;
  • involve instruction and proper supervision of children by a service provider;
  • be suitable for children;
  • require children to actively participate; and
  • require registration with the service provider and the payment of a registration fee or membership fee in order for a child to participate.


Where do I claim this?

Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in SASKATCHEWAN on December 31st or the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

1. Click on the HOME tab.
2. Click on the ABOUT YOU icon and click on the Your residence icon. You will find yourself here:

You must also make sure that you told us about the dependants, for whom you will be claiming the Active Families Tax Credit. To do this:

1. Click the HOME tab.
2. Click the ABOUT YOUR DEPENDANTS icon. You will find yourself here:
3. Enter all the required information about your dependants.

Note: If you want to enter more than one dependant, click the +Add Another Dependant button on your screen.

Once you have confirmed your residence location and told us about your dependants, claim the Active Families Tax Credit by following these steps:

1. Click the name of your dependant on the left-hand navigation panel.
2. Click the checkbox labelled Physical or artistic activities.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for Sports & arts, enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?