TP-75.2-V: Employment Expenses of Salaried Tradespeople

What’s in this article?


What is this?

Form TP-75.2-V is used to claim a deduction for eligible tools you purchased, as a salaried tradesperson (such as a hairdresser, cook, plumber, or apprentice mechanic), during the year to earn employment income. You must also complete this form if, during the year, you disposed of an eligible tool for which you claimed or want to claim a deduction.

Note: If you are an eligible apprentice mechanic, you may be entitled to claim the additional deduction for eligible tools purchased in the year on this form.

Complete the parts of form that apply to you. Part 2 of the form must be completed by your employer only if you purchased an eligible tool in the year.

If you are a Canadian living outside of Québec and an employed tradesperson, you can deduct the cost of eligible tools on form T777: Statement of Employment Expenses.


Am I eligible?

Use form TP-75.2-V to claim a deduction, if you are a salaried tradesperson and purchased eligible tools in the year to earn employment income.

Revenu Québec says…

You may deduct the cost of an eligible tool, provided both of the following apply to your situation:

  • Your employment contract stipulates that you are required to supply an eligible tool in the course of your employment.
  • The cost of the tool was not reimbursed to you and does not entitle you to a reimbursement.

An eligible tool is a new tool (including ancillary equipment) you purchased as a salaried tradesperson in the course of your employment. Electronic communication devices and electronic data processing devices are not eligible unless they are used solely to measure, locate, or calculate.

Note: If you deduct expenses for eligible tools, you may be entitled to a Québec Sales Tax (QST) rebate. Click this link for more information.


How do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:

Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

Once you have confirmed your residence location, complete form TP-75.2-V by following these steps:

  1. Click the PREPARE tab.
  2. Click the YOUR YEAR IN REVIEW icon. You will find yourself here:
  3. Click the checkbox labelled I was employed.
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
  5. You will find yourself under the EMPLOYMENT icon, on the PREPARE tab.
  6. Under the EXPENSES heading, click the checkbox labelled Employment expenses for salaried tradespeople (TP-75.2-V).
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.

When you arrive at the page for theTP-75.2-V, enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?