At any time in 2015, did you separate from your spouse or common-law partner, but then reconciled?

This question helps correctly determine your marital status and the duration of your separation, if applicable. Based on your marital status, family income, the number of children you have, and your province of residency, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) calculates benefits to which you are entitled. You cannot claim spousal or common-law partner transfers if you were separated on December 31 and the separation lasted for a period of 90 days or more.

If you have a spouse and lived separately for less than 90 days due to a breakdown in your marriage but then reconciled, you are not considered to be separated for income tax purposes and must file your income taxes together. If you separated from your spouse due to a breakdown in marriage for 90 days or more but then reconciled, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will recalculate your benefits based on the changes in your marital status. You and your spouse must file your income tax returns together.

If you are in a common-law relationship and you lived separately due to a breakdown in the relationship for 90 days or more but reconciled, you are no longer considered to be common-law. You have to wait a period of 12 continuous months to be common-law again.