What’s in this article?
The Nunavut Political Contribution Tax Credit is a refundable credit that you can claim if you made contributions to a candidate seeking election in the Nunavut Legislative Assembly. The Political Contribution Tax Credit is calculated as follows:
- 100% of the first $100 contributed; plus
- 50% of the next $800 contributed.
The maximum credit allowed is $500. Claims for the political contribution credit must be supported by official receipts.
You are eligible to claim the Nunavut Political Contribution Tax Credit if you made contributions to a political candidate seeking election to the Nunavut Legislative Assembly. You must also have received an official receipt stating your political contribution amount.
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:
Important: Before you begin, ensure that you told us you lived in NUNAVUT on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:
1. Click the HOME tab.
2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:
Once you have confirmed your residence location, continue to follow these steps to claim your Nunavut Political Contribution Tax Credit:
1. Click the PREPARE tab.
2. Click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
3. Under the CHARITABLE & POLITICAL CONTRIBUTION heading, click the checkbox labelled Political contributions.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
5. When you arrive at the page for Political contributions, enter your donation amount in the field labelled Provincial contributions.
- Line 15 to 20 – Political contribution tax credit (CRA website)
- Territorial worksheet (CRA website)
- NU479: Nunavut credits (CRA website)