Tips for first-time filers

If you are filing your tax return for the first time, here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure you file your taxes accurately:


Get prepared

Make sure you have all of the documents and information on-hand to complete your tax return. These can include information slips (T4, T3, T5, etc.), receipts for expenses such as medical or childcare expenses, and other documentation such as business income and expenses. Click this link for a more detailed checklist of documents you will need to get all the credits and deductions you are entitled to.


Use the most current version of the tax software

Whether you are using H&R Block’s 2015 Download or Online software, it is important to make sure you are using a current version before you file your return. Click here to see the most current version number of each software. You can find your software’s version number on any page within the software, underneath H&R Block’s copyright information.

Click this link for information on updating your Download software. If you are using the Online software, we recommend performing a ‘hard refresh’ to makes sure you are using the most recent version. Click this link for information on performing a hard refresh on your computer.


Enter your personal information accurately

When you NETFILE your tax return, if your personal information (such as name, date of birth, and social insurance number) does not match what the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has on file, it may get rejected. To avoid this, make sure you enter your personal information accurately. Note that, you must enter your name as it appears on your Social Insurance Number document.


File by the deadline

In order to avoid penalties and to claim certain tax benefits, you must file your taxes by the due date. For individuals, you must file your taxes on or before April 30, 2016. If you file your taxes after this due date, your GST/HST credit, Canada child tax benefit payments, old age benefit, and any related provincial credits may be delayed.

If you are self-employed, you must file your taxes on or before June 15, 2016. However, if you have a balance owing, you have to pay it on or before April 30, 2016.