Adoption Expenses – Provincial Amounts

What's in this article?


What is this?

If you are a resident of Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, or Newfoundland and Labrador, and you are claiming adoption expenses on your return, you can decide how much of the corresponding provincial expense amount you would like to claim, and how much you will be splitting with your spouse or common-law partner.

In the event that you and your partner agree to split a claim for adoption expenses, you must ensure that the total combined claim amount for each child does not exceed the eligible provincial adoption expense amount.

For the 2015 tax year, the maximum amount of non-refundable provincial adoption expenses that you can claim on your return are as follows:

  • Residents of Alberta can claim up to $12,457 per child;
  • Residents of Manitoba can claim up to $10,000 per child;
  • Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador can claim up to $11,831 per child; and
  • Residents of Ontario can claim up to $12,033 per child.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible to claim the equivalent provincial adoption expense credit provided you lived in one of the provinces listed above on December 31, 2015 and you have met the rules for claiming the federal adoption expenses.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2015 taxes:

IMPORTANT: Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, or Ontario on December 31st of the 2015 tax year, in H&R Block’s tax software. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOU icon, and click the Your residence link. You will find yourself here:

You must also make sure that you have told us about the dependants, for whom you will be claiming the adoption expenses. To do this:

  1. Click the HOME tab.
  2. Click the ABOUT YOUR DEPENDANTS icon. Enter all the required information about your dependants.

Note: If you want to enter more than one dependant, click the +Add Another Dependant button on your screen.

Once you have noted your residency in either Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, or Ontario and told us about your dependants, follow these steps to enter your adoption expenses:

  1. Click the name of your dependant on the left-hand navigation panel.
  2. Click the checkbox labelled Adoption expenses (Schedule 1/TP-1029.8.63).
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
  4. When you arrive at the adoption expenses page, enter your information into the tax software.
  5. At the bottom of the page, answer Yes or No to the question For the expenses entered above, would you like to claim the same amount for your provincial adoption expenses credit?. If you answer No, you will need to enter how much of the provincial amount you wish to claim on your return.

Note: If you are filing a coupled return, H&R Block’s tax software will automatically apply the remaining amount to your spouse’s return. If, however, you are filing your return separate from your spouse’s, they will need to manually enter the remaining credit amount by following the steps above in their respective return.


Where can I learn more?