Does this dependant live with you?

Your answer to this question helps us determine if you’re eligible to claim certain dependant-related deductions and credits on your return.

To be considered eligible, a dependant is typically someone who:

  • Is a child under 18, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, niece, nephew, aunt, or uncle (of yourself or your spouse or common-law partner), or someone who is mentally or physically infirm
  • Is related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • Lived with you in Canada in a home that you maintained

Remember, if you share custody of your dependant with someone else, only one parent can claim the deductions mentioned above.

My child doesn't live with me, but I pay child support - can I claim him/her as a dependant?

No, if you're paying child support for your child, you can't claim him or her as an eligible dependant. Refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website for more information. 

Need more help? You can message your Tax Expert at any time from the Messages section of your dashboard. VA_V1_Dashbrd_Messages_EN.jpg