Which last name should I use?

If you or your spouse or common-law partner’s name changed during the year, you’ll need to prepare your taxes using the last name the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (if applicable) have on file for you. Notifying these agencies before you file your return helps avoid problems - unfortunately, you can’t use your or your spouse’s return to inform the CRA or Revenu Québec of the name change.

To notify the CRA (residents living outside of Québec)

For a single name change (either first OR last name)
Call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. Be sure to have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and a copy of your latest tax return handy.

For a full name change (first AND last name)
Mail or fax a letter containing the following information to your local tax center:

  • Your old and new names
  • Your SIN
  • Your signature

 To notify Revenu Québec (residents living in Québec)

To update the name Revenu Québec has on file, they require a copy of the name change certificate you received from the Directeur de l’état civil. You can either:

  • Call Revenu Québec at 1-800-267-6299. Be sure to have two notices from Revenu Québec (such as your notice of assessment and your notice of determination) and the copy of the name change certificate on hand; or
  • Mail a copy of the name change certificate to one of the following applicable addresses: Revenu_Quebec_Address.jpg 
Need more help? You can message your Tax Expert at any time from the Messages section of your dashboard. VA_V1_Dashbrd_Messages_EN.jpg